Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Dreams?

"So when are you writing a book Shruthi?," asks my photographer S as we're getting ready to leave after interviewing the poet Salma. I have a pretty standard response. "Soon as I quit journalism," I say. He's a little surprised and wonders aloud about why that is so. I try to tell him that being a journalist and writing, however much or little, doesn't really leave room for any creative writing. Somewhere in the midst of all the Gonzo-ism the ability to create another plot is tiresome to say the least. I'd read somewhere that most journos are "aspiring writers". I don't know what happens to each of our dreams of being writers. I wonder if we're waiting to get the Pulitzer or still yearning for that Nobel/Booker that may never come our way except for the honour of writing about it in that one gushing paragraph in the interview with the one person who did.
I know I'm making it sound like I'm a contender for the "best in the biz" title, but I'm not. I only know that I want to write. How and what I write is immaterial at this point. Maybe a few years later, I might want more. For now, this is enough. That's what I keep telling myself, this is enough. I'm still waiting to be convinced...

7 comments:

  1. Convinced? Thought such things happen on an "impulse", don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Impulse has nothing to do with this

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well...the writing is definitely in line with what you say except for the last few sentences.

    Maybe I've got it all wrong! Was of the view that there are many Journalists cum writers around...come from a very different background...u may put it down to ignorance :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are many journalists-cum-writers around. But being only two-years-old in the business, it will be hard for me to pull it off... I'm still making money and getting my street cred... until then, whatever I have planned will have to wait...

    ReplyDelete
  6. well..hope u get whatever that is you planned for :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, just bumped into here...all the best!

    ReplyDelete