Monday, December 20, 2010

Weddings and all that - Pt 1


As I’m typing this, the henna on my hands is an insane shade of almost-black. If I were a bride, then it would be a sign of the deep and abiding love that my to-be husband will have for me (is the grammar ok on this one?). However, for this wedding, I am the bridesmaid. So, most people will only tell me that the blackish henna tattoo on my palms is an indicator of the immense love I will get from my future husband. Good.

It’s 4am, I’ve been staying up since Tuesday and by late I mean start dance practice at 7pm and end at 5am. After dinner, “practice” is just us sitting around in P’s living room talking, gossiping, asking questions, re-knowing each other, despite having gone to the same school since kindergarten. From being the kids in wan gray uniforms in school, we’ve all grown into very different people – some of us have some flesh on our bones, some of us are losing hair, some of us talk more, some of us have better hair and clothing, etc. We all do have one thing in common, we’ve known each other for way too long for us to ever be fake/weird around each other.

There’s always an element of TMI in our conversations. The same information would be met with a great amount of censure in any other social circle, but not this one.

There is a certain comfort in talking to each other. A certain complacence in not minding manners or words. These friends of mine deserve a lot more than a few measly I’m-too-tired-to-compose-right-now posts.

Hence, excuse the delay, and please to lech at the byootiful henna on my hands. Thanks.

14 comments:

  1. it's stunning!! I got henna when I was in India and found that my hands looked prettier and I could not stop looking at them! I have to admit I underestimated what a lengthy process it is,since I'm the type that can't sit still! congratulations to your friend, best of wishes for the future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katerina, I can't believe how dark it's become! When I do put henna on my hands, it gets dark, but this colour is just crazy! Getting henna on your hands is a slightly painstaking process, especially if you get hungry and so on sometime later on

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, the henna has come out quite well.
    i hate it when the henna begins to come off and sometimes its not homogenous. and that pisses me a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. putting the henna on is awesome, but when it starts to fade is when the problems start... I so agree with you

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow – that design is fantastic. I didn’t realise that it could cover the hands like that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its byootiful! :) And yes...the chaddi-buddies with whom u can never even try to pull off being "fake"...really well written :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @eternalworrieris - this design is the Indian style of henna. the Arabic designs are the ones that go diagonally across the palm

    @themadfatgirl - yit is lowelee no? and thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. The henna and the friendship are both really beautiful. I know exactly what you mean about TMI - it's these shared secrets that draw us together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I still remember my experiences of working for my mom and two sisters after they had applied 'maruthani'

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Baglady - thank you. without these shared secrets, I don't know what we'd be really...

    @venky - for my friend's wedding, her brother was missing, so... we had no help... we were quite hungry until the boys showed up!

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Shruthi Athaan yaravdhu adimai sikkina avan thalaila malega arachidrathu!!But was good experiences working for my sister and the funniest thing was that they ask me to scratch their hands(mosquito menace) and ill take full revenge out of it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. shruthi, well about overall, i just can says that i like your "MEHNDI" Post.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i love this baby... really its cool conventional.

    ReplyDelete