Friday, March 25, 2011

Friday headlines!

Hi,

  • Have you read this? What do you think? I think it’s ridiculous! Only because mice, who incidentally have 99% genetic commonality with humans, are being subjected to this nonsense. Poor mice. The ones I’ve encountered were in Dharamshala and they were grey and had tiny pink ears and walked in a line across the fireplace. I cannot imagine those tiny things being injected with neurotransmitters and whatnot!

  • In other news – I’m reading The Lotus Eaters by Tatjana Soli. So far, so interesting. It’s a very well-written book, my only concern is that there are too many intertwining narratives happening and it could get confusing. I’m hoping it won’t.

  • Now India went and set up a semi-final match in the cricket World Cup and that too with Pakistan. I want to roll over and die at this unfortunate turn of events. Cricket elicits high levels of lunacy in this country. I don’t see anything interesting about the game, except maybe the 20/20 format. It takes too long for a one-day match to get done and as for test matches, the lesser said the better! Too many people have too many opinions about how and why this game should be played. My Facebook news feed is being spammed by my entire friend list and their cousins throwing in a good word about the matches. I can’t deal with it.

  • A nineteen-year-old intern from my former work place insists that I am a maami and that I should get married NOW. Apart from telling him about the fact that calling a malayali a maami constitutes a misnomer, I don’t know how else to respond to this redundant topic of discussion. I’m done with my lifetime’s quota of clowns and I don’t think I need to get into a long-winded discussion with some child about marriage.

  • Which leads me to this point: Teenagers in 2011 seem to think they’re really evolved and mature thanks to all the time they've spent in the virtual world. I wish someone would tell them to go and look up the meaning of the word virtual. Their sense of reality is a little skewed. If it were up to me, I’d throw them all in offices that have no internet access and that pay you nonsense salaries and force you to have interactions with human beings from all backgrounds. The same people also have this habit of spelling “lose” as “loose”. It pisses me off!

  • At KeralaMatrimony.com, someone is looking for a “girl with good humour sence”. I was appalled. I told my parents, considering my MA in English, the least that they can do for me is find someone who is comfortable enough with the language to be grammatically and spellingally correct! It hurts my feelings when I’m asked to ignore bad articulators of the English language because “the horoscopes match”. Tiresome.

  • Are you ever tired of reading the news? I sometimes am. Especially Indian news these days. The opposition supposedly engineered a deal with the sitting government. Then they accused the sitting government of being corrupt bastards. When the truth came out about the opposition being the actual reason behind the sitting government looking like losers, everyone lost their temper and started yelling! Yeah, somehow when you’re guilty yelling is going to make you look innocent. Like I told my friend, politics these days is entertainment. Governance has become a distant dream!

On that happy note, this blog post is now concluded.

Kthxbai.

2 comments:

  1. I agree on mice, matrimonial websites and marriage and Disagree on teenager and cricket ( probably because I am a Cricket loving Teenager) =P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Semi - cricket is one topic of discussion I won't launch into... I've lost interest in the game somehow... as for teenagers, well, again each to their own I guess huh?

    ReplyDelete