Saturday, March 19, 2011

Politics, yeah politics

One of the hottest debates in Chennai at the moment is – who to vote for? Thanks to enough and more campaigns about voting and so on, people are becoming a little more conscious of using their rights. I mean, if you don’t vote, you lose the right to be righteously indignant about corruption and corrupt politicians! It’s that simple. No vote means no voice.

In Tamil Nadu, the electoral system is really twisted. People here will vote for you if you give them Biryani! I’m not kidding.

However, the country has been unraveling under the weight of scams that began with the Commonwealth Games and continued with the spectrum allocation. All you need to do is Google Suresh Kalmadi and A Raja and you’ll know what I’m talking about.

The money that these people have cost the exchequer and the humiliation that they have caused to the country, is profound. I don’t want to sound like a commentator, but the truth is, I stopped researching this stuff the second it went viral. Everyone is talking about it and suddenly people seem to have woken up to the fact that the scale of corruption in India as showcased in the movies is not exaggerated. In fact, the movies don’t exaggerate enough!

The proverbial shit has hit the proverbial fan and we’re all smelling.

There is an election around the corner and people need to vote. They’re confused. At one point earlier on this year, I was contemplating not voting at all! I mean who do I vote for? A party that is building the metro, ensuring that BMW and Hyundai and Ford all have factories here all while amassing an insane amount of wealth or a party that has a leader who is disgruntled and will probably spend her term arresting and silencing the people who pissed her off when she was not in power?

Politics in India is a joke. There is not one single leader who thinks with a semblance of common sense. They speak against the ruling government and gather listeners and promise them what the ruling government denied them and come to power. Once they’ve been elected, they all have selective amnesia and bi-polar disorder and other mental illnesses and forget completely that they made promises.

In the meantime, folks like me go and vote and get nothing out of it except fantastic news to read on a regular basis.

I could go on. The only thing I do know is that I’ve changed my mind about whether to vote or not. I will vote. No vote, no voice!

After I vote, I have every intention of bitching about the politicians that piss me off! Thankfully, India hasn’t got to the level of having an Adjustment Bureau just yet. Maybe we do, I’ll never know until I veer off plan, right?

4 comments:

  1. Yes. So true about the state of politics in India. The elections are a complete joke. Whoever throws more money would buy more voters. The bureaucrats are either corrupt or don't bother about it. Every has the 'Chaltha hai attitude'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. India has become the most unsafe country to live in. Politics is just a Tamasha...

    ReplyDelete
  3. @runawaybride - did you read the articles in the link? very scary!
    @Jimmy - vote more often. who knows which politician is misusing your vote?

    ReplyDelete