Tuesday, April 26, 2011

News, views, stuff

The persistent need to tell Facebook that I’m doing something or I am in the midst of a giant, earth-shattering, for me, epiphany, is getting a little annoying. I think I would like to hide some place and not come out at all.

I wish life was suddenly not about my online presence. I mean, a friend of mine re-activated her Facebook profile to tell me – “I’m here because it’s hard to live in the same city as you and stay in touch”. I was rightfully enraged, sorry di, but I think she’s right. There’s more information about me online than there is in other people’s email and SMS inboxes. That’s bloody sad. I want to be the girl who overshares in a café and has other people bitch about her and not the other way around. I like getting out of my house to get some fresh air and Vitamin D, not sit at home and type a lot. I’ll end up being lady type-a-lot and friendless!

Anyway, that’s just self-indulgence.

There’s a new blog. Writing Caste. Check it out.

This blog came about with a very interesting back story. Malarvizhi Jayanth, a former reporter at The Hindu wrote two rants on Facebook after The Hindu acquired exclusive access to Wikileaks’ India Cables. Malar had a huge grouse against the paper and it was expressed in two parts. The first part was the classic – my former employer is a jerkwad-style piece and the second hit a more raw nerve, caste. Now, caste is a subject that this country grapples with on a regular basis and continues to be completely anal about it because our social structures date back to a time way, way, way before colonialism even happened.

The responses to the second post were so multifarious that Malar decided to put together a blog of contributions and responses. I wrote to her too, you can’t blame me! My name is one of the most misleading in Malayali history. As recently as Sunday I had someone ask if I was Brahmin, when I said I wasn’t, this person was like, "but your name". That’s how it goes with me.

I for one, as mentioned earlier, don’t know this problem, nor have I been a victim of caste. However, this word has been a part of a lot of my interactions ever since I got that certificate from the CBSE just before my class 10 board exams. In my MA, the word took on a new significance. As a student of post-colonial literature, etc, the word became part of debate, but it never meant anything to me. As someone who lives the regular middle-class city life, I haven’t had to deal with it on a personal level.

However, watching the people who come out of the sewer manholes, reminds me that there is a part of my country’s social fibre that is tainted and stained. I think the Supreme Court’s decision to make Khap Panchayat’s illegal is a step in the right direction towards eradicating the unreasonable levels of right-wingness that persists in this country.

I’m going to leave it at that.

One more blog you should be reading is this. She’s a junior of mine from college and she's awesome and she’s getting married and she’s a fantastic writer, so please read okay?

I go now, I will come back with lots of more kuppai. There’s a bachelor party I have to go to because my idiot friend has more women friends. I’m sure something will come out of that event that I will write about.

2 comments:

  1. hehe. I lowf you too. and feel similarly about bachelor party, though I hope you're wrong cos we may have it at my place.
    and chill about online presence. when I'm in the uk, you won't hear me griping. for shizzle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. dei, at your place means, no story-worthiness aa? why you are underestimates?

    Yenyway, when you go to UK I'll be complaining that you have no time for me!

    ReplyDelete