Friday, June 24, 2011

The meta of life


I’ve reaslied that this month has come and gone and I haven’t posted worth squat here. It’s bothering me that I’m suddenly bored with a lot of things. Blogging included. More than bothering, I think I’m just plain scared that I have lost that interest in writing. Unless, and the following might be the actual criminals responsible for my present state of being - I’m wasting my time texting waaayyy too many people, I’m too into my new BlackBerry and of course I’m doing too much statusing on Facebook. This idiot need to constantly type is affecting my blog’s survival.

I’m not going to take a resolution to post more regularly. The fact that this blog has been running for more than a year, in a more organized manner than my previous one is enough for me. For now. This isn’t a writer’s blog, or a blog about writing, so, in some sense a lull is justified. To me. I don’t know about how my “avid readers” will feel about this!

But this is not about what I make of blogging. I don’t think I’m up to writing about that just yet. Maybe after I have 5,000 followers! Maybe never!

Today, I would like to talk about institutions. I wish I was talking about tangible structures that people can point out to, but these are abstract spaces that we traverse on a regular basis and yet, we don’t realize it because we’re so busy being.

This post comes from a long, fun, much-needed lunch conversation with a very dear friend. She was telling me about someone she knows who “hates institutions”. Now, of course, that set me off. And I wanted to know precisely what this “I hate institutions” means. Most everything in the real world is an institution as far as I know.

Some people try to make some things abstract and talk about how the time-space continuum does not allow humans’ tiny brains to comprehend the scale of the epic-ness that is this intangibility. What I want to ask them is this – did you get educated at an educational institution? Anyone who has had a formal education that has been prescribed by society loses the right to talk about institutions, unless and until said person is doing something about breaking down the system of institutionalising itself.

Sitting in a coffee shop, talking to like-minded people about how education ruined you a la Rousseau, does not an institution-breaker make. I don’t know how some people get away with being so meta while operating out of a structure and defined space. There are some people I know who are in universities or are part of a collective and then go on about how institutions suck.

The word institution itself applies to one specific institution and that is what really gets me. The institution being, of course, marriage. The “I hate institutions” refrain so oft-repeated in this specific context that it has lost its original meta-ness and has whittled down into the “worst excuse ever” category. What “I don’t believe in institutions”? Why can’t you come right out and tell someone to their face that you don’t want to marry them.

Yes, the excuse is that you are profoundly in love with her or have this cosmic bond/connection or some twisted shit like that. The reality of it is simple – she wants to get married and have babies, you don’t believe in institutions. You are on opposite sides of the camp, why bother trying to meet halfway? Because you’re in love? Really. If you’re in love then why in the hell can’t you meet halfway about this? It’s a tough question I know. But knowing the direction of a relationship and wanting something out of a relationship is important. Altering it to suit the convenience and comfort of one person is just, well, wrong.
It’s called compromise for good reason and that needs to exist in just about every aspect of a relationship. The fact that someone selectively applies nonsense meta theories to simple situations that can be resolved with some degree of common sense is a little offensive. I mean, for everything else there has to be dialogue and communication and so on, but for something that you are not comfortable with, out comes the meta, the post-modern existentialism and so on and so forth.

When people use big words, you should be afraid. They are the ones that are sales pitching something that you don’t need in your life. Look at all the times you fell for the nonsense you saw on TV and ended up buying cereal that tastes like sawdust and deodorant that doesn’t exactly make you smell good all day. This selective sales pitching for selective situations is the reason why so many people have these epic mindfucks and then go and die!

You want to be selective, then please be selective in the way you choose partners. Find someone who, like you, is living in some weird planet where nothing is institutionalized. Apparently, family, friendships, corporate employment, formal education, etc, are just social necessities that will arm you with enough ammo to talk about how you hate institutions. Do the world a favour and stop being a social human being, because society is a fucking institution. Don’t vote, don’t comment on the government, cancel your passport, don’t have a bank account, don’t get a telephone connection, and don’t do anything, because you “hate institutions”.

Someone ought to have the balls to actually live that life and I would like to meet that person. I’m just pissed that some people assume the mantle of truth and honesty while lying to the world and to themselves about their “principles and value systems”. The worst? They get away with it.

1 comment:

  1. "I don’t know how some people get away with being so meta while operating out of a structure and defined space."

    Mwa-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!

    YES.

    ReplyDelete