Monday, October 3, 2011

Recollections of the strange kind

Did you ever go through a phase when you only wanted to discuss your period? I was 12 when that phase happened. I don’t know about other countries, or cities in India, but in my Chennai and specifically in my school, this one subject was something that almost every girl talked about, at length and in some cases with an unhealthy amount of smugness. To be perfectly honest, I never got the hype behind it when I was in school, I still don’t, but now I have come to terms with it and I know that I have only a couple of decades left before it stops altogether.

In school, however, we had these weird strange conversations centering around our period. I have no idea why I am thinking about it now, but a strange advertisement involving blue-coloured liquid being soaked in a sanitary napking probably brought it on.

What are the strangest period conversations you’ve had?

What were the most bizarre myths you encountered?

I have a cracker – one of my seniors in school, she was in the 12th grade, asked a Proctor and Gamble rep “Will I lose my virginity if I use a tampon?” I was in the 9th grade then and I knew that a tampon and virginity were not in the least bit connected!

Oh well. I’m off to sigh over MasterChef and then watch Criminal Minds.

No comments:

Post a Comment