Wednesday, November 9, 2011

For a friend


Thinking of mortality in your 20s. Thinking of death, actually dying, dealing with insane and too quick ways of dying in your 20s cannot be a good thing.

It's highly selfish to be thinking like this when someone you know has passed away and you are mourning their loss, but then again, when you are confronted with death and the possibility of you also dying under similar circumstances, it is difficult to keep selfish thoughts at bay.

This year, birthday month was ushered with bad news, again. My friend Mamta, who was a very dear friend from my MA days, succumbed to Dengue fever on the morning of November 5. In the four years since I finished my MA at Madras University, I met Mamta just once. She moved cities and we were in touch, rabidly, on G-talk and sms and phone calls, but we never met.

Finally, four years later, sometime in June this year, Mamta and I, met for a long overdue lunch. I must say that it was one of the best catching up meals of my life. I'm so happy that I met her after a long gap and got the chance to re-establish our friendship and be in touch again, texting, emailing and chatting.

This news has shaken me up and I don't want to think that I will never see her again or share some of the things that she and I did. She was my favourite gossip buddy in this world and she's no longer here for me to take the freedom to sit and cackle with.

Mamta, I miss you terribly. I hope you're in a happy place. After everything you struggled for, and after getting what you fought for, I'm sorry that you didn't get the chance to live long enough to enjoy the fruits of that. Know that you were loved immensely and wherever you are, I hope its the awesomest place on this planet!

Love always,
Shru

3 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear of your loss.

    It's great that you wrote about her -- left this beautiful imprint of her here in the world for the rest of us to share in.

    I hope you're ok x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. :) I felt that it was the least I could do for someone dear to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did loose someone i held very dear to me recently, and your post reminded me a lot of him...

    'the only thing that cant be stolen are memories".. be blessed with many of them :)

    ReplyDelete