Sunday, December 4, 2011

Let's talk about God Pt1

Some of my more "inspired" writing, comes from conversation.

As I type this out, there is a chat window open, with me talking about a subject that I'm a little afraid to broach generally, God/Religion/Faith.

There was a point in time, my late teens I think, when I was very clear that I believed in God and that I was a religious person. But somewhere down the line, something happened, and I seemed to have lost the plot? I don't know what happened, but I'm no longer under the religious label, that's for sure.

I have a few valid, at least what I think are valid, reasons for this - what I can't see, I cannot believe. When we were in the Chemistry lab in school doing flame tests to find out which salt we were "analysing" the flame turning green or red meant something tangible. It was evidence, it was something that I could understand and, more importantly, see for myself, which is why it was easy for me to enjoy Chemistry lab hour, there were things to do, things to see, and things to mess with. Things, real things. Things that made the smell emanating from the Cooum seem like floral bliss. So many things.

With religion, however, there are certain things that I have issues with.

Like knowing.

What are the references? Where have these people gathered their evidence from? On what basis am I expected to believe "knowledge" that was "discovered" so many millenia ago? I mean, why?

We're talking about texts that were not accessible to my people at one point in time because we weren't socially acceptable. Now that there is temple access, and available translations of religious texts, what am I expected to do with it? Assimilate everything and just accept it because some wise man said so?

Who is this wise man? Who or what made him wise? Why does everyone think he's wise? What sets him apart? Why does he want people to follow him and reuse his words? Why the propaganda? Why the staging of miracles? If he's really wise then why didn't some of these "godmen" not have the brains enough to not get caught?

I don't know if I've been able to articulate this properly and appropriately. There must be many loopholes here. Which serves to prove my point about my own personal issues with this entire thing. I don't know what it's about to begin with, and then to have it thrust on me just because everyone else believes in it, is pure and utter BULLSHIT.

There's more to say here, and I will. When I stop feeling like my brains have imploded in my skull and when the light doesn't seem to want to pierce my retinas and travel through my nervous system to destroy my head, I will talk, a little more clearly about... religion.


3 comments:

  1. I am an atheist but love discussing religion. I find it absurd that so many people chose to believe in fairy tales written eons ago by some drugged up scribes belonging to an ancient, backward world. Its all a means of controlling the masses by telling them not to rebel against the rich as they will get their rewards in the after-life. It is no coincidence that the brightest human minds are atheists; people such as Stephen Hawking, Richard Dawkins,the now departed Einstein and many more too numerous to mention. I like your attitude and sense of humour towards religion. Religion is "the great myth" or most probably "the greatest hoax in human history". Nice writing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Touchy topic, this. I agree with a lot of what you've written, and I can't wait for the next instalment. Also, love the last paragraph! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Joe - thanks for your comments. As you can read, my own opinions on religion and so on are mired in what I've been told to believe and what I believe myself. It's a complicated relationship, which will take time to articulate... as I plan to...

    Nrithya - very touchy topic I know, but I think I need to use this blog for more than just ranting :D

    ReplyDelete