Friday, April 27, 2012

Matrimonial websites and me

I don’t want to be on an online matrimonial site any more.

1)    It’s insulting
2)    My father thinks that some guy who doesn’t have the time to write more than one sentence about himself is a good person to consider
3)    My family harbours some strange delusion that after the wedding things will just sort themselves out.
4)    My family also thinks that getting me married, also known as a wedding ceremony, is about all they need to do. Apparently anything more is no longer their responsibility, nor do they want to be held responsible for it!
5)    Marriage is the be all and end all of one’s existence is people are to be believed.
6)    I don’t see the point in it all. What is the significance of being married? I’m happy where I am. Yes, I’d like to move out of Chennai, but that’s about the only thing I would say is lacking in my life. I don’t see how marriage is going to make what I have now any better.
7)    There is also the distinct possibility that I have lost interest in being in a relationship. Honest. I mean, I don’t see the point any more. So far, I’ve been in relationships that haven’t lasted and have left me horribly disgusted with things. I don’t see how a man from KeralaMatrimony.com is going to change all that.

I am going to ask that my parents delete the profile and give themselves lesser things to worry about.


17 comments:

  1. Hahaha! Good morning to you too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Watch this!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNeOS8xXjyk

    ReplyDelete
  3. what are other options??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your marriage woes are material for an epic saga I think. Write book and make money so you can run away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. notgogol - I'm wotking on it :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. You should read "Eat Pray Love". Just a suggestion :)

    Though I agree with your idea. Objectification of women should hurt your gender, though it rarely does...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Objectification rankles. Why do you think it doesn't?

    ReplyDelete
  8. It doesn't hurt everyone. Why would women ( as well as a lot of men ) accessorize?

    I guess its because of what they call socialization. I have come across only a few who really are what they are

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But it could be my personal limitation ofcourse. I am all open for correction, if any..

      Delete
  9. So wait, you think that accessorising - as in wearing jewellery, carrying bags, wearing nice footwear - is the problem?

    And not the fact that there are videos, jokes and comedy tracks about "understanding women" and so on?

    The word 'objectification' runs far deeper.

    I can get into it here, but I don't want to. I might write a post on it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ummm..that is not the problem but, definitely a manifestation.

    It does run deeper as you said. Socialization is one of the factors I know. You might as well enlighten about the rest in your post :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Shruthi...I am also sailing in the same boat...

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Shruthi,

    Yes, you should write a book. But not about marriage exclusively. And when you write, make sure you are not in your worst mood. For a wider audience, ranting is okay once in a while but not after every two sentences. Just my suggestion. I am sure you would pull it off in grand style.

    -Anand

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Thanks Anand.

      The book is not getting written because I'd rather rant. Maybe when I'm patient enough to have a sense of humour about the process I might write about it all.

      Delete
    2. Take your time. I won't mind waiting at all, because I am sure it will be worth the wait :)
      -Anand

      Delete