Tuesday, July 24, 2012

What grips me is also fear

Since March 2011, I have been working in various desk-only jobs. Now, don’t get me wrong, for the longest time, I always thought I wanted a desk-only job. But I thought I would be spending my days editing reams of pages and at some point in time during that overwhelming volume of editing, I would finally figure out the names of the tenses and punctuations and how to use them. See, the funny thing about being an English teacher’s daughter is this insane need to figure out the language and how it works. But, I digress.

I was telling you about working in a desk-only job.

There are a number of disadvantages of working in a desk-only job:
•    You don’t write
•    You don’t write
•    You don’t write
•    You. Don’t. Write.
•    Y.O.U.D.O.N’.T.W.R.I.T.E.

And you know what? Not writing is debilitating to the soul. I think some part of me has dried up and gone all raisin-like. And I think this soul-sucking drying up is the reason for this constant inertia that grips me. I want it to stop. I want to write again. I want to have the words for Facebook, Twitter and this blog and also a book or five, an article or 500. I need my words back. Soon. If I don’t get them, I’m terrified that I will turn into some horrible, loathsome version of myself!


3 comments:

  1. you can type? YOU CAN TYPE? You Can Type?....just type it all out....btw, i have a table job, sorta....i put people on the table, when they are unconscious i work on them..you get me? and i still get time to type...so if i who have no access to computers all day long can do it..you can definitely do it..

    ReplyDelete
  2. In case you need a prescription:

    1. Commit murder. (0-0-1)
    2. Get a typewriter. (1-0-0)
    3. Hate someone profusely. (1-1-1)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ganesh - well, I'm trying. I honestly am.

    Vrinda - best. prescription. ever!

    ReplyDelete