Tuesday, February 24, 2015

On being confrontational

You know what? Anyone who has read this blog knows that I spend a lot of time here just writing angry things aimed at people who have in some way or the other pissed me off. And pissing me off is about as easy as eating a piece of cake.

Lately I've been on a pick-a-fight spree with everyone around me. From my husband, to people who responded to something I posted online. Some people have responded in kind and the war of words continues, some people didn't get the point. But I keep thinking if I should keep at the fighting or just let it go. My trouble is that I can't stop my immediate impulse to dash out a thought or 50,000. Should I think before I act in these instances? OR should I go ahead and keep at it? I'm not sure what I should do, but I do know that I'm far more settled when I share the feelings than when I don't. This explains the existence of the blog, as well as my Twitter account.

My constant ranting has been a source of great joy for people. It gives them one more thing about me to laugh at. I mean, I come across as nothing less than apeshit. That being said, do I care? I don't.

When it comes to politics and religion, I have a lot to say, but that's fine, everyone has an opinion on these things. We're all activists.

But what about when it comes to people talking about you behind your back to someone close to you? Do you confront the tale carrier, or do you shut up and watch as their so-called innocent conversation leads to a not-so-innocent confrontation between you and the receiver of the story? Or do you ignore the series of events because you're adopting this 'let it go' philosophy?

I prefer confrontation. Even if it means costing me a so-called friendship. I'd rather know exactly what was said and done rather than pretend pleasantries every time I meet this person. Does this make me hostile? Damn right it does. At least that's what people tell me. I get it. You don't want to deal with someone who is coming at you all guns blazing, but you're sure comfortable when it comes to talking about me and creating a ripple where none exists.

Innocent or not, sometimes some conversations have unintended consequences. And when those consequences directly affect you, it's imperative to take a stand instead of pretending that these consequences didn't happen. I don't expect apologies, I don't expect contrition, what I do expect is for people like this to stay the heck away from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment